Allocation Assist

Can I bring my parents to stay in the UAE?

Can I bring my parents to stay in the UAE?

Are you a doctor recently relocated, or thinking of relocating to the United Arab Emirates?

Staying far away from extended family can be tough. It is great to have your mum or dad visit for a holiday, but what if you want them to come and stay for longer? Is it possible for one or both of your parents to come and live with you in the UAE?

The great news is that, if you are working in the UAE with a valid residence visa, you can sponsor your parents to obtain their residence visa.

How to sponsor your parents to stay in the UAE

Since October 2022, changes to UAE law mean that you no longer have to show that you are the only source of support for your parent(s) to bring them to the UAE. A residence visa is usually issued for one or two years, but is renewable. However, the recent legal changes allow Golden visa holders to apply for a 10-year residency visa for their parents.

How to apply for a parent’s residence visa?

You can make the application after your parent(s) arrive on an entry or tourist visa (valid for up to 90 days).

In Dubai, you can apply at an Amer centre, or on the Amer website or app:

In Abu Dhabi, you can apply at a TAMM service centre, or on the TAMM website or app:

Anywhere in the UAE, you can apply via one of the Government Services Customer Happiness Centres:, or on the ICP website or app:

You will be required to pay an application fee and there is also a deposit required as a guarantee (check websites above for current charges).

Medical insurance is compulsory for all residence permits applications. You must obtain medical insurance for your parents and renew this every year they stay in the UAE. Your parent(s) will be required to undergo medical screening, including a blood test (for HIV status) and a chest x-ray (to screen for Tuberculosis), before being granted a residence visa.

If both your parents are still alive and together, it is usually expected that you sponsor both. If sponsoring only one parent you may be asked for proof of the reason e.g. death certificate, divorce certificate or other justification. If you are submitting certificates issued outside the UAE, they must be attested by the UAE Embassy in the home country and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the UAE with a legal translation in Arabic.

What documents are required?

  • Your original passport (with at least 6 months of validity), residency visa and Emirates ID, plus clear colour photocopies.
  • Your valid employment contract or salary certificate (minimum salary 20,000 AED/month).
  • Registered Tenancy Contract (Ejari), or title deed, in your name for a house/apartment with at least 2 bedrooms.
  • Recent electricity bill if you own your own house.
  • Your birth certificate (attested by the UAE Embassy in the home country and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the UAE with a legal translation in Arabic) or other official proof of parental relationship.
  • Parent’s clear, colour passport copy (with at least 6 months validity), with UAE entry visa page.
  • Parent’s high-quality passport-sized photos that match the ICP specifications:
  • IBAN number of your bank account and account statement for the past three months with the seal of the bank (online print-outs will not be accepted.)
  • Health insurance card or certificate for parents.
  • A national ID card is also required for parents of Pakistani, Afghani, and Iraqi nationalities.

Is the process different if I have a 10-year Golden Visa?

All doctors licensed by the country’s health regulatory bodies can now apply for the golden visa. If you already have a Golden visa, you can apply for a 10-year visa for your parent(s). The process is almost the same but the guarantor deposit is not required for Golden visa holders.

How can I get medical insurance for my parents?

There are many options from basic plans to a comprehensive level of cover. The cost will vary according to your parent’s age and health status. For those over 65 years with pre-existing conditions, premiums will be higher.

You can use an insurance broker or a comparison website, such as Insurance Market.

Can I sponsor my parents-in-law?

Yes, if your spouse does not have their own employment visa and is classed as your dependent, then you can sponsor their parent(s) on their behalf. The process is the same, but you will also need to provide your marriage certificate, as well as your spouse’s birth certificate (both attested by the UAE Embassy in the home country and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the UAE with a legal translation in Arabic).Report this

Please fill the form below for a free consultation: